WELCOME! I'm very happy you've found your way to my blog where I post some of the interesting things I've found in my travels and that I'm offering for sale. I hope you find something you'd love to live with - something that inspires you or makes you smile.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris


Saturday, August 18, 2012

Elaine Niemi, Maine Artist


Up Time



South
(I saw this as a fisherman casting his net?)



Cutting Fish, Forty Fathoms



Kayak



Untitled


I've been itching to get back to mid coast Maine after a couple trips up there last year. I especially wanted to check out the Montsweag Flea Market. I spent the night in Freeport and awoke and got to the flea market early only to find a handful of vendors set up due to overnight rain showers and the early morning rain forecast. But I was able to discover a table of artwork by native Mainer, Elaine Niemi. I was immediately drawn to the color, the spontaneity and the 'outsider' feel, of which I'm a big fan. I looked through the many binders of her work and had a tough time narrowing it down to the above five pieces before the rain showers returned.

These are acrylic on 8 1/2" x 11" acid free paper. Niemi calls her painting style "erasing." She starts with just color on paper and then uses her brush to erase out the colors around an object she sees in the painting which are influences from her surroundings.

I know these won't be the last pieces I purchase. Just love them.

$38 each

1 comment: