WELCOME! I'm very happy you've found your way to my blog where I post some of the interesting things I've found in my travels and that I'm offering for sale. I hope you find something you'd love to live with - something that inspires you or makes you smile.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris


Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Northeast Native American Crooked Knife


This is primitive tool handmade by Northeast Native American Woodland tribe. Handcarved into the wood of the handle is a crown on one side and likely a signature, "MAP X" on the other side.  The steel knife blade is attached to the handle with wire and nails.  These tools were used for various purposes, one likely being to cut splints for basket making.

SOLD

The link below will take you to a web site that has a PDF download of a book about the history of crook knives by authors Russel and Ned Jalbert, titled "Mocotaugan, the Story and the Art of the Crooked Knife"     http://mocotauganthebook.com/









No comments:

Post a Comment